Friday 6 January 2017

Looking forward to this...


... which arrived yesterday: Bruce Weigle's 1870 ruleset. It is for my twin tracked Franco Prussian War and Georland plans for this year. I have bought this for the historical information,OOBbs, scenarios etc it contains rather then the rules themselves.

I know what I want from my Georland rules (and I hope they will work just fine for FPW as well). I want something that will give a quick game and a reasonable period feel. For this reason I am looking to amend Command and Colors Napoleonics. I want to use this as the basis rather than Battle Cry as I think it will reflect European Warfare better. I will look to develop some simple amendments - I hope relatively few tweaks will be necessary, possibly infantry firing ranges and affect, French have more effective rifles, Germans have better artillery - can't believe it will only need that, so I have an interest at looking at other FPW rules to see if there are particular things to take into account. However, it seems unlikely to be that simple...

Ultimately I am after something stylised to fit in with the hex terrain, buildings, figures and basing I am intending to use.

5 comments:

Steve J. said...

Bruce's books are wonderful and packed full of information. He is also a true gentleman. I'd recommend looking at the 'Bloody Big Battles' ruleset, but not sure if they would work with hex terrain.

Vintage Wargaming said...

Hi Steve I think I am aiming at smaller actions. My first aim is to refight some of the Georland campaigns so quick and bloody are the watchwords.

Colin Ashton said...

Great amount of info in all his books but I tried the rules many years ago and they're not for me. Have you thought about the rules Ross MacFarlene had devised for his 1840s imagination campaigns? He uses hexes or squares and small units. I'm sure they're on his blog somewhere - "Battle game of the month"

Ps can I call in and ogle your S range collection sometime please?

Vintage Wargaming said...

Hi Colin, sure, give me a ring sometime

Big Andy said...

Thinking about doing Franco- Austrian or Franco- Prussian as anther retro project myself using the Spencer Smith Classic figures. If I go down that route I may get Featherstonian .