Tuesday 3 June 2014

There's none like these....


I don't think there will be any more of these anywhere in the world...

These are Lamming SYW figures - I think they started out as Prussian Cuirassiers - definitely cuirassiers, anyway. I got them a while ago, before I bought the Lamming display figures at auction. They had been converted for use as standard bearers, with swords and carbines removed. So I replaced these and painted them for use as British Cavalry or Dragoons for my '45 project.

So I have sort of restored them to near how they would have looked, but the swords and muskets will be different as will the uniform. In spite of my usual basic paint job I like them quite a lot and they make a flexible unit (or units). They are based individually on 20x40mm MDF bases from ERM and then movement trays from Warbases.

14 comments:

The Good Soldier Svjek said...

We will not see their like again !

DeanM said...

Your restoration looks flawless - BTW what scale are they? I'm totally unfamiliar with Lamming. Best, Dean

Colin Ashton said...

Tremendous stuff, but reminds me how old I am!

Vintage Wargaming said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Vintage Wargaming said...

Dean they are 25mm - think Minifigs S Range size

Chris said...

How did you do the repairs? I have a variety of figures that have lost their sword, end of a musket, etc.--what can i do to remedy this?

Thanks,

Chris Johnson

Vintage Wargaming said...

Chris

I put up a number of posts a while ago on my Hinton Hunter blog about sword replacement - they can be found here:

http://findthatfigure.blogspot.co.uk/search?q=sword+replacement

They also show how Peter Gilder did it, with pin swords. This same technique was used by Bill Lamming on his demonstration figures which I acquired and the results can be seen here:

http://vintagewargaming.blogspot.co.uk/2013/04/bill-lammings-lost-range-seven-years-war.html

I have never managed to do pin swords properly, despite investing in some equipment: I think this might have been down to the type of pins.

I hope this helps - someone out there my have some more useful links for making pin swords, which look good but can be bad for your fingers when moving troops.

Vintage Wargaming said...

Chris

TMP link with quite a few methods

http://theminiaturespage.com/boards/msg.mv?id=236463

WSTKS-FM Worldwide said...

Absolutely wonderful! I love seeing these older figures here. Thank you.

Best Regards,

Stokes

Unknown said...

Do you by any chance have a copy of Bill Lamming's Medieval rules? I have just purchased a Kindle copy of the rules, but there is no Sailing Indicator. Any chance you could scan/take a pic for me? I used to play the campaign game a lot back in the 70s/80s, and I'm going to have a go purely out of nostalgia!

Vintage Wargaming said...

Chris - please see post dated 30 october 2017

Regards

VW

Unknown said...

See post dated which date, must be typo?

Vintage Wargaming said...

As it says 30 October 2017 - it's the latest post

Unknown said...

Brilliant! Thanks vm for that