Wednesday 3 April 2013

Rene North "Paint-Your-Own Cards" set #107 French 8th Light Infantry


Thanks to Vintage Wargaming reader Mick, I have acquired a collection of around 80 sets of Rene North Paint Your Own cards, still in their original (and unopened) envelopes.

I still have to work out what to do with these but I thought I'd start with the couple of duplicate sets. I think I will have to open them all as this will be a way of compiling a reasonably comprehensive list. I may post a fair quantity of them here, or where relevant on the Hinton Hunter as period uniform information.

To start with here are the contents of set #107 French 8th Light Infantry, as an example of what you got - 6 uniform cards, text uniform instructions, and the small brown envelope they came in.








2 comments:

MSFoy said...

My compliments on a remarkable acquisition - there will be a great deal of interest in these. What to do with a set of unopened packages of anything is always a problem - you could keep them sealed and simply pretend you haven't got them!

I ask in a spirit of naive innocence, since I don't know - what is the copyright position on something like this?

Regards - Tony

Vintage Wargaming said...

Tony, there may be some residual copyright somewhere, and usually I make every effort to obtain permission to post items from external sources here.

However, the latest date I can find any mention of these is 1980. After Rene North's death in 1971 the cards were sold by John Edgecumbe, and in October 1978 there was an advert in the classifieds in Military Modelling offering the cards for sale from an address in Ramsey, Huntingdon, Cambs. There was also apparently an ad in Military Modelling in the early 80s offering the business for sale. There is no evidence that the business has traded since then.

In the circumstances I am happy to post them and of course would be happy to remove the post(s) if a copyright holder surfaced, got in touch and asked me to.